What causes you to green out when you overindulge in cannabis and what are some of the most effective remedies?
Believe it or not, our bodies do have a limit to how much cannabis we can consume over a set amount of time. Overindulge in your favorite cannabis product, and you might be unfortunate enough to experience ‘greening out’ for yourself.
Too much cannabis that’s too strong in a short period of time can result in what is popularly known as greening out, chucking a greenie, or chucking a whitey. Regardless of what you call it, they all end up with you feeling anxious, sweaty, nauseous, dizzy, and in some cases, even throwing up.
It’s not a pleasant experience, and anyone that’s experienced it will do their best to avoid it for as long as they can. However, when you first start using cannabis products greening out can be quite intimidating and overwhelming.
Despite cannabis and THC having a very forgiving safety margin, too much of it can lead to intense side effects, including:
- Anxiety and Stress
- Nausea and Vomiting
- Loss of Balance
- Increased Heart Rate
- Emotional Disturbance and many other very undesirable side-effects.
We must point out that as unpleasant as greening out or overindulging in cannabis can be in the moment, no one has ever died from a reported cannabis overdose. However, if you suffer from other medical conditions, such as heart conditions, taking extra care when using cannabis products should be of the utmost importance.
Some of the Common Causes of Greening Out
If you understand what’s causing you to green out, what to expect, and how to handle it, the entire experience can be much more bearable. Don’t get us wrong, it’s not going to be fun, but if you have a better understanding, you’ll be less likely to panic.
Below are some of the common causes behind greening out:
- Greening Out Cause 1 – You’re inexperienced with cannabis products and don’t know what your tolerances are yet. Have you heard the phrase low and slow? It means starting with a low dosage and taking it slowly. It’s much easier to have a little more than walk it back after you’ve already consumed it.
- Greening Out Cause 2 – You’re somewhat experienced with cannabis products but trying a new strain for the first time, and the THC content is much higher than what you’re used to. As mentioned above, when trying any new strains or cannabis products, take it low and slow.
- Greening Out Cause 3 – Always be wary of any edibles, oils, and tinctures. When you consume cannabis, it metabolizes differently as your body processes it, the effects take longer to materialize, and the effects of edibles can be very different from smoking or vaping and last much longer. Start with a small dose of about 5mg and allow yourself a solid hour before you consider taking any more.
What to Do If You’re Greening Out
There is nothing pleasant about ruining a good buzz by overindulging and greening out. It can turn a fun night into a horrible evening pretty quickly. Once it happens, it’s too late to stop, but there are some common remedies that you can try if you’re greening out.
Common remedies to help offset the effects of overindulging include:
- Prevention – Prevention is the best cure, and not greening out in the first place is the ultimate remedy. As we mentioned above, always take it low and slow, and don’t ever feel peer pressured into consuming more than you’re used to.
- CBD – Cannabidiol (CBD), the other dominant cannabinoid found in the cannabis plant, can help to counteract the effects of THC, the cannabinoid responsible for that euphoric high. A 100% CBD vape or edible can be one way to reduce the impact of THC potentially. CBD does this by blocking the receptors in the endocannabinoid system (ECS), with which THC binds with, making it less effective.
- Sleep – Sleep is your friend if you are greening out. While closing your eyes can cause you to feel like you’re spinning out, if you manage to fall asleep, you’ll sleep through the worst of it. Drink lots of water, relax, close your eyes, and take deep breaths. Know that these feelings will pass.
Greening Out from Edibles | Causes and Remedies – Conclusion
There’s nothing worse than overindulging in your favorite cannabis products, regardless of when or where it happens. It’s going to be an experience you’re not going to forget anytime soon!
We can’t stress this enough, take it low and slow with cannabis products until you understand how you are going to react and what your tolerances are. It’s a lot easier to have another hit or another edible than it is to try and rewind the clock if you have overindulged. Learn about CBDa and CBGa and the battle of covid
If you have any questions, comments, or remedies for greening out, please don’t hesitate to reach out and contact us or comment below. We’d love to hear your feedback!